ARCHIVE

EVENTS • TIPS • PHOTOS

  • Last Friday the contractor put in a temporary sink just as we were leaving to go away for the weekend. Which was a great thing as we haven’t had water on the main floor for about 6 weeks. But as we were going out the door, I heard them say, “Wait its leaking!” This is not what you want to hear as you leave the house for two nights and you have newly installed hardwood floors. Hardwood and water; not a good mix.

  • Its been a few days since we’ve had work on the house here. But it’s actually been a good break for us- a chance to catch our breath while we wait for the cabinets to arrive

  • Even though the contractors were not here on the weekend, I was still here working to take advantage of the fact that the finished floor had yet to be installed. Just to back up a bit, last week the mason and the installer were here on Thursday ripping out the old window to make a new opening for the new one I just picked up on Wednesday morning from Brock. I felt good that the old one is not going to the landfill but the contractor is taking it away for a shed he is building. I am glad I was here to help with the questions as they sized the new opening and cut the brick. Man oh man

  • One of the key things in this reno that I've talked about before is moving (actually replacing) the existing window with a new one in a location that allows us to get the upper cabinets right to the south wall.

  • I have spent the past couple of days framing in the ductwork along the ceiling. Roughed in bulkhead to contain main supply duct. The original plan, last year was to relocate all the ducts to the side wall so we would have the full height ceiling but when I found out that the price tag on that event would be several thousand, that quickly dropped off the scope of work. So now I am enclosing with some G1S ply so that I can get a bit more height under the ducts and it is a bit more durable than drywall. Of course as I was going along putting up the 2 x 2s I found the place where the former

  • A slight bit more demo last night. Took out the drywall on a wall for the furnace room; one which I though I would not have to tear down. Tonight have to rip out the studs and rebuild as it has to be extended for the door to the work/laundry area. Behind this wall are two jackposts which were put in years ago that I sure don't want to touch, so I will just build around them. I have studs left over from the closet project Graham did, so hopefully I will have enough wood to construct all this. Existing joists with plywood laminated and blocking installed. I also took a look at the return air duct because I need

  • For those who haven't heard my constant complaining, I am finishing the basement in our 1920's vintage house. The house is pretty small and to boot, also very narrow (about 12 and a half feet wide on the inside), so getting the most out of the space means using every inch effectively. I wanted to start documenting what I have done, even though I have completed a lot of work to date (and many trips to the nearest Home Depot). So for those of you who have been asking here are the latest images. Rigid insulation fixed to wall. I finished putting in the rigid insulation and securing it using strapping and many tapcon screws, so that I can have