Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) researchers have unveiled a new sensor that could save lives by detecting a buildup of toxic gas in an area, and then send that data to a connected mobile or wearable.
The sensor is incredibly sensitive to toxic gas, able to detect 10 parts per million of gas in the air. When toxic gas is spotted, the carbon nanotubes inside the sensor break free of the insulating material, activating a near field communication (NFC) alert that appears on the connected device