• Well, it's been about 6 weeks or so since my last post. For those who don't know (sorry about that...) we had a baby 5 weeks ago. Which explains why I haven't had any time to work on the basement or post anything worthwhile. His name is Thomas and everyone is doing well, getting used to lack of sleep, diapers, car seats etc. Thomas even has his own website. (I don't know where he finds the time to learn to type, read and blog.) So in between diaper changes and work, I managed to finally put up the sliding doors and paint them the trim color which we have used in the rest of the house. Like everything else in

  • I took Friday night off working because the weather was pretty good and I didn't want to spend the entire weekend in a dark room while the sun was shining; kinda like the past few weekends. Good thing for the most part, the weather has been crappy for the last couple of weekends. I didn't feel like I was missing much. So on Saturday, I got down to finishing up the wall adjoining the furnace room and other bits and pieces that needed drywalling. These are the things that take the longest. The big sheets go up fast: they give you a sense that things are progressing. That's good because I needed to see that before tackling the smaller stuff

  • I finished the framing for the bulkhead and cut the largest sheet the other day. I installed about half of the sheets of plywood for the bulkhead so now you can start to see what the ceiling height will be like in that area. I have to cut all the sheets outside as there is not enough room in the basement to lay down a full sized sheet of ply. Besides, it really creates a dust storm and I want to keep the amount of dust to a minimum in the house. Except when I tape and sand the drywall, it will be very dusty anyway. I will likely tape off the basement and shut off the furnace. I got

  • So Sunday was beautiful outside so when I was given the choice about either working in the basement or going golfing, guess which one I chose? Well, I still did work in the morning, setting up for putting in the bulkhead over the ductwork, but then found I didn't have enough 2 x 2s so I had to make a trip to the Depot. It was surprisingly busy for a Sunday morning, but I guess everyone wanted to get a start on yardwork etc.

  • Well had to resume the work in the basement because there are a few more things to do before I can start drywalling. I had to frame in the stack anyway, so I figured I should combine this and the return air duct into one. The original plan suggested by the guy who did the home energy audit was to put the duct on the other side of the room, but I would have had a bump out in that wall and one on the other side, so it made more sense to combine the two. I also have to build the bulkhead for the ductwork in the ceiling (which will probably take the better part of a week) and