Monday was a crazy day here in the reno zone. At one point we had three cargo vans and seven contractors bumping into each other in the house. The HVAC guy connected up the supply line to the office and when I turned the heat on, lo and behold it worked! You can see where the new duct runs up from the basement. (and yes I wanted them to step in the bulkhead for the fridge plug. The window installer put in the window and it really makes a difference to see out into our backyard directly instead of having to crane our heads around. New window looks nice and will be great place to work overlooking the backyard. Then
I decided to post a few more photos of what the basement looks like now, a couple of months after the majority of the work is done. The tv went up on the wall (after buying the wall mount on ebay) and it is hooked up to the trial service I am using to test the IPTV service. Oh yeah, that junk in the corner is pretty much par for the course; as you'll see based on the other photos on the site, this basement is a magnet for junk. As much as I try, I can't seem to keep the stuff from collecting down here. But as long as it's a cozy space where we can watch tv and
Well, it's been about 6 weeks or so since my last post. For those who don't know (sorry about that...) we had a baby 5 weeks ago. Which explains why I haven't had any time to work on the basement or post anything worthwhile. His name is Thomas and everyone is doing well, getting used to lack of sleep, diapers, car seats etc. Thomas even has his own website. (I don't know where he finds the time to learn to type, read and blog.) So in between diaper changes and work, I managed to finally put up the sliding doors and paint them the trim color which we have used in the rest of the house. Like everything else in
This week I have mainly been doing some finish carpentry such as baseboards (a pain) and the trim around the bathroom door (slightly less of a pain). I had to paint everything before I installed it so I set up a makeshift paint area on the washer dryer in the back room. And yes I used drop sheets to catch the paint splatters. It was still pretty crowded back there this week until Saturday when the installer from Neoset came back with the smaller replacement section so that he could fit the unit back flush against the wall. The reason is was still so crowded is that there were still a fair amount of boxes back there, plus the miter
Well I guess you can't have everything. Just as I thought we would be able to finally start organizing and putting away all our stuff, we ran into a small snafu: I think that the designer who put together the plan for our furniture miscalculated the length and as a result, only the first bank of storage fit in, and the second one was too long. So as you can see here we put some books in and got the bathroom cleared out (that was where we stuffed all those 7 plastic bins filled with books until the carpet installer finished laying the carpet.) Actually it was Kim who put all the books away, by Library of Congress Heading categories.