• Yesterday my wife said to me, "I guess the guys came and picked up the breaker..." because in its place (where it was standing for 2 months) only the tarp remains. I am hoping that Peter and the guys from Oriole Landscaping picked it up, because if it was anyone else, they would have had a heck of a time getting it into a vehicle; the thing weighs over 100 pounds! Anyway, I was really glad I could use it although it took a little bit of getting used to. I am sure that the pros out there would think I was crazy not going to a quickcut saw, but the neighbors certainly appreciated that I was not cutting bricks

  • I finally got rid of the rest of the original red brick pavers. It took many postings to our local freecycle list, but someone came to get them. It was much better than throwing these into the landfill. The first person who came took about 1/3 of them, but it was so hot that they could only get so many loaded before they had to take a break and try again. The problem was that they never came back! So after many attempts to contact him, I reposted and last week someone picked up the rest in 2 loads (in their car!) Unfortunately they backed into the shed, but it is so dented up that you really can't notice.

  • We clipped this ad out of a publication about midway through the project and stuck it on the fridge. This was timely... Now that I am done, I can laugh about it, but I tell you, this is pretty much how I felt some days. (Thanks to the Ontario Craft Brewers for the ad)

  • Well just before we went on vacation, I cut the last stone, dug the weeds, cut the grass and threw down some bark mulch so that we could see what the whole thing would look like done. Or 99% done. I just got a push broom so I could sweep in the "Polymeric Sand" into the cracks and call it complete. Oh and I almost forgot: I have to rebuild the little door that keeps critters from going under the deck. While I was putting down the bricks, I also decided to run some watering pipe under one stretch so I could hook up the soaker hoses on either side of the garden, instead of running the hose back and

  • Well, I have made some progress since the last post thanks to working on the cutting in the evenings after Tom has gone to bed. The hardest part of the cutting is that the breaker I am using Here is the breaker; it takes a bit of force to cut the bricks! (also under the blue tarp in the pictures below) is great at cutting large straight cuts, but not so good at cutting the smaller pieces and especially the small triangular pieces which are a large part of this design. So I have had to resort to using my Skil saw with a 7" masonry blade to cut the tricky parts. I've got a few more pieces to cut,